Determination of Diabetes Mellitus Among Hepatitis C Virus Associated Chronic Liver Disease

  • Muhammad Saeed Medical Lab Technologist-Lab Manager, DHQ Hospital Mandi Bahauddin
  • Hafiza Anum Basharat Medical Laboratory Technologist, Allama Iqbal Medical College Lahore
  • Zoyia Ejaz Women Medical Officer, Tehsil Head Quarter Hospital Fatehjang
  • Zeeshan Nawaz Assistant Professor of Microbiology, Government College University Faisalabad
Keywords: Chronic liver disease, Diabetes, Hepatitis C virus

Abstract

Objective: Determination of diabetes mellitus among Hepatitis C Virus associated with chronic liver disease patients.
Patients and Methods: This cross sectional study was conducted in the central laboratory, department of Chemical Pathology, Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore, from 1stMay 2016 to 31stJanuary 2017. A total of 201 known cases of Chronic liver disease were included from medical wards of the Jinnah Hospital, Lahore. About 02 ml blood sample was collected from each individual for estimation of Fasting Blood Glucose and HbA1c. Patients were labeled as diabetic or non–diabetic according to the criteria for the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus described by American Diabetes Association 2017.
Results: Out of these 201 cases, 51% (n=103) were males and 49% (n=98) were females. Mean age of all participants was 55.2 + 10.6 years. Mean fasting blood glucose level was 201.9+111.0 mg/dl. Total 24.9% patients were found nondiabetic and remaining 75.1% were declared as diabetics.
Conclusion: High rate of diabetes mellitus was observed among hepatitis C virus associated chronic liver disease patients. 

Published
2018-06-22
Section
Original Articles